P3D v3 Installers Deleting P3D v2 Installations

Support for all FSDG products
hodge001
FS-Version: FS9

P3D v3 Installers Deleting P3D v2 Installations

Post by hodge001 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:31 am

Hi

I have an odd problem, I have had P3D v2 installed for some time with the following FSDG scenery packages..
Heraklion V2
Kastellorizo V2
Thessaloniki V2
NUUK

All purchased through Aerosoft.

I also have the following FSDG scenery packages that were purchased directly from FSDG via SimMarket..

Djerba X
Sharm El-Sheikh 2012

As these are now available with installers for P3D v3 I thought I would install them, all went well with the SimMartket versions of Djerba X and Sharm El-Sheikh 2012, but after installing the Greek scenery packages into P3D v3 with the new installers from my Aerosoft account the same scenery files in P3D v2 have been deleted, and reinstalling them into P3D v2 then deletes the P3D v3 scenery files.
I assume that it is possible to have a dual installation of FSDG sceneries in both P3D v2 and V3 as the Djerba X and Sharm El-Sheikh 2012 sceneries exist quite happily in both simulators, unless of course this is a wrong assumption on my part.

I have posted this on the Aerosoft forum and was told that as the installers are FSDG’s I should contact you directly.

Thanks in advance.

Jim Hodkinson

EmilG

Re: P3D v3 Installers Deleting P3D v2 Installations

Post by EmilG » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi Jim,

Djerba and Sharm are no problem because of the FS9 version having separate registry keys than FSX/P3D.

At the moment, dual installation of the software is not supported, and in combination with our configuration files it would only lead to complications.

For those cases where people use more than one simulator at any time, here is how to manually install the product into a different location by-passing the installer.

----------------
Assuming Heraklion is already installed into FSX.
1. When you start the installer choose the P3D version you want to install for.
2. When you are asked about the location of installation just give it a temporary location (i.e. in a folder named Heraklion)
3. Locate the Heraklion folder were you installed the product.
4. Select all the folders you can see in there and right-click--> copy.
5. Now paste those folders into the root folder of P3D
6. You will be asked to replace all, please do.
7. Register the scenery manually via P3D scenery library (for complex entries with more than one folders you can simply replicate the order you see in FSX scenery library).
7. To access the scenery configurator, you will need to go to P3D root/FSDG/.... and run it from there (or create a new shortcut for convenience).

**If P3D is originally installed via installer, then you can repeat the process selecting FSX, and copying the scenery folders into FSX root instead.
----------------

hodge001

Post by hodge001 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi

I do not actually have FSX installed, it is P3D v2 and P3D v3 I have installed, but for the time being I will stay with the scenery installed into just P3D v3 as I really do not want to start copying and pasting files from temporary locations it can only end badly eventually, one example would be that although it is easy to add scenery folder to the scenery,cfg file the actual priority of those folders in the scenery layers would be unknown and would be subject to trial and error if scenery layering was new to you, which is OK for freeware but I would not really expect to be doing this for a pay-ware add-on.

I am not asking for a date but will dual P3D installations be available at some future date.

Thank you for the reply, and take care.

Jim Hodkinson

hodge001

Post by hodge001 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi
Out of curiosity I tried installing one of the Greek Islands scenery packages, in this case Kastellorizo v2, into a temporary folder using the P3D v2 option after first installing them into P3D v3 and the temporary folder was populated with the FSDG files and folders but the P3D v3 files were still removed, it seems that whenever you run the installer and point it to any different location than the last location that the scenery was installed into the other files and folders will be deleted making it impossible to have two installations of the scenery packages, in addition I now cannot reinstall FSDG Kastellorizo v2 as the installer now throws the following error message…

FSDG- Kastellorizo v2 has not been totally installed because of the following reason:
Cannot great the following file:
F:\Lockheed Martin v3\Prepar3D v3\Free Flights\KastellorizoX – At the harbour.$$A
You will have to run this utility again to completely install FSDG-Kastellorizo v2.

Re running the installer again just throws up the same error message and no files are installed.

So I am now left without the scenery in either simulator, and before anyone asks I will not try installing it into a temporary folder again as who knows what error messages I will get if I do and it just is not worth the risk to a stable P3D v2 and v3 installations, so I will just put it down to experience and write-off my Kastellorizo v2 purchase.

Jim Hodkinson

EmilG

Post by EmilG » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:01 pm

Our installers would not cause any P3D installation issues, or stability of the installation as a whole. In the case of those temp errors, I would just try to run the uninstaller of FSDG-Kastellorizo, and if that fails, simply navigate to your Root folder and delete the folder named "Root\FSDG\FSDG-Kastellorizo"

The simplest process of multiple installations is to just install the product on a separate location (i.e. on desktop). Then grab all folders and drop into one sim, then do the same for the next sim. So, one temporary folder which you can just copy paste from, for your different installations.

hodge001

Post by hodge001 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:20 pm

Hi

Thank you for the reply, as for the error with the installer, although I have not re-run it after deleting the files and I think I will pass on the installing into a temp folder then copying and pasting the files and leave everything as it is, I must add though that these are the only installers I have ever come across that delete files from the previous installation location, I assume you have a reason for it but it is just seems a bit odd to me.

Thanks again for the reply, take care.

Jim Hodkinson