Djerba extremely bad performance

Support for all FSDG products
camaflight

Djerba extremely bad performance

Post by camaflight » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:42 pm

Hi,
I'm running FS 2004.
I have seen the discussion about textures with and witout alpha channels, and I have re-installed with latest version. I have also double checked the alpha issue.

Nevertheless, the FPS is so low that it makes no sense in using this scenery.

I have never seen such bad performance in any of my addon sceneries - mega airports with complex aircraft and really crowdy with traffic and other dynamic .bgl's.

Also with no traffic and default cessna the FPS lies at about 10 FPS and drops now and then below. I have no other scenery or .bgl's for this area. With default Djerba only, the performance is like usual by my sim; 70-80 FPS.

Hope I can get the solution here in this forum.

Carl

Er!k
FS-Version: FS11

Re: Djerba extremely bad performance

Post by Er!k » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:16 am

The only thing I can think of is, have you enabled shadows? If so, what is you disable them?
i9-12900k, 32GB RAM, Geforce 3080 10GB, Microsoft Flight Simulator, Windows 11 22H2 x64 Home NL

camaflight

Post by camaflight » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:49 am

Er!k wrote:The only thing I can think of is, have you enabled shadows? If so, what is you disable them?
Yes i have tried that and the FPS rises to 30-35 with default cessna. Although 30-35 FPS can be acceptable, it's not acceptable at all having to untick the ground cast shadows because my flight starts or ends at Djerba. Frankfurt EDDF mega airport f.ex. works with ground shadows, crowded with traffic and PMDG MD11 at 45-60 FPS. And at this level of performance my other huge payware airports also work.

Besides; without ground shadows, 30-35 FPS is way too low when other by far more complex sceneries work witout ground shadows at 70 FPS and more.

Hence there are more "serious" frame killers in the Djerba scenery.

Carl

horst18519
FS-Version: MSFS

Post by horst18519 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:43 am

We had this discussion before. Like I said back then (and as you can read in the manual) you can switch off the ground shadows as it won't affect most other addon sceneries anyway. Lots of scenery developers disable shadows on their objects, hence the similar fps on their shadows for shadows on and off. For Djerba, it is your decision if you want the shadows. If you want to save fps I suggest you turn them off. Remember: this will hardly affect any other addon scenery like MegaAirport Frankfurt because you won't see any shadows there anyway.
- Thorsten -

FSDG-online.com

horst18519
FS-Version: MSFS

Post by horst18519 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Carl, I deleted a post you recently made because of it being a bit aggressive, which I'm sure you would agree. We have been looking into the issues you described and will do further, but I don't see the point of you accusing us of things we are not or do not.
We do have lots of happy DTTJ users, a fact that tells us that there seem to be very different results using the scenery with different PC setups, something we could not yet find a reason for. We strongly advise you to disable scenery shadows if that improves your fps (which it should).
Apart form that, all I can say is:
We're trying to find ways of - for those suffering unexpected low fps - making the scenery work as smooth and fluent as it does for most users, including the development and beta testing team.
I am sure you will appreciate that.
- Thorsten -

FSDG-online.com