[Solved] Paro Terrain Problem

Support for all FSDG products
buntings
FS-Version: FS9

[Solved] Paro Terrain Problem

Post by buntings » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Hi,
Just purchased Paro X. Installed OK and everything appears to be present. However the airport is sat on an "island" several metres above the surrounding land. Google brings up a load of references to this being a known issue with the fsx terrain (although possibly only in FS2004 ).

The surround land, buildings, photoreal stuff are all OK. Its impossible to land at the airport as you end up flying under the airport! :-O

I have made sure the scenery is top of the list and disabled all the other scenery areas (well as much as FSX would allow ) to ensure nothing else was creating the problem.

Any ideas how I fix this?

Screendump attached

Thanks

UPDATE

I have downloaded the freeware airport from here:-

http://www.fsxaddons.com/addons/detail/ ... lley/1681/

and as per the instructions:-

3) Altitude corrections - Copy both the "VQ10_ADEX_CS_ALT.BGL" and "VQPR_ADEX_CS_ALT.BGL" files from the "Put in Scenery-World-Scenery" folder to the FSX "Scenery/World/Scenery" folder. If you have installed any of these four airports from other authors, please make sure to disable them before using this software. Make sure to disable any other altitude correction BGLs in your "Scenery/World/Scenery" folder that may be present for these airports to avoid scenery conflicts.

This has not completely fixed the problem but it has made a big difference - perhaps it helps identify the issue?
Attachments
paro.jpg

horst18519
FS-Version: MSFS

Re: Paro Terrain Problem

Post by horst18519 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:43 pm

You probably almost solved the issue yourself - that altitude correction file has to be disabled; renaming it to "VQPR_ADEX_CS_ALT.off" should be sufficient. Our scenery includes our own altitude correction file that places the airport at its real altitude. (both default altitude as well as the altitude in that freeware version is off, it was set to match the rough and imprecise default mesh)
- Thorsten -

FSDG-online.com

buntings

Post by buntings » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I installed the freeware files after the Paro installation (to try and fix the problem in the image above) and the files did make the situation a little better but not perfect. It seems perhaps for some reason your files didnt get installed. I have removed and reinstalled the product but makes no difference.

Can you tell me what your own terrain files are called and the folder they should be located in? I will try and location them.

Thanks

buntings

Post by buntings » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:20 pm

A further update.

My desktop FSX installation is in c:\fsx

I installed the Paro product onto my laptop which is an installation into the Microsoft default

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X

and after the installation in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Scenery

I found

AFX_VQPR_ALT.bgl

However when I searched on my desktop i found file here:-

C:\FSX\FSDG\FSDG-Paro\scenery/AFX_VQPR_ALT.bgl

So I moved it into :-

C:\FSX\Scenery\World\Scenery

and it now works OK!

Also, FSDG-Scenery Configurator reports that I have no scenery installed that requires the configurator.

My question - is there a problem with installations into a non-default location?

Many thanks

Gareth

horst18519
FS-Version: MSFS

Post by horst18519 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:29 pm

Thanks for the additional information. Looks like you solved the issue, well done.
Installing FSX in C:\Program Files (x86)\ can indeed create issues, although the ALT file should normally not be in the FSDG Paro / scenery folder. We have to test this to see if there's a problem with the installer when using that default FSX location.

Regarding the scenery configurator, please make sure you downloaded the latest version, you should then be able to change some scenery settings for Paro.
- Thorsten -

FSDG-online.com

buntings

Post by buntings » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:57 pm

Hi,

Just to be clear:-

When fsx is installed into "C:\Program Files (x86)\..." then Paro installs and works correctly.
when fsx is installed into "C:\fsx" then Paro seems NOT to install correctly and the terrain is a problem.

Scenery configurator is a fresh download. I have just tested it as well and the same applies - works OK with C:\Program Files but does not work with C:\fsx

Hope thats of help

Gareth

EmilG

Post by EmilG » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:31 am

Hi Gareth

Please try this. Uninstall via the un-installer from start menu. Then run the installer again and choose manually a location for installation, for example a folder called 'Paro' on your desktop. Then simply select everything in that Paro folder and copy over to your FSX root folder (replace all).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buntings

Post by buntings » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Hi,

To clarify my earlier postings by "desktop" I meant "desktop computer" (ie tower) rather than laptop - rather than Windows Desktop, bad choice of words on my part!

However now all is clear :-)

Your suggestion worked - the scenery configurator now works.

By installing into a temporary location I can see from the structure of installed files that your installer is limited to only installing into the FSX directory.

My FSX installation is on a dedicated but small SSD drive (drive C) whilst most of my scenery is on a large harddrive (drive I) - which I think is becoming a more common setup with the large size of scenery. My first attempt at installing was onto drive I - which didnt work at all, now I realise why!

i guess the scenery configurator requires your scenery to be in the FSX directory - if I were to move Paro to the "I" drive then the configurator would stop working again?

thanks for the help.

EmilG

Paro Terrain Problem

Post by EmilG » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:05 am

That's correct. The configurator works with relative paths. So if you have the scenery installed in I:\FSX then you also need to install the scenery configurator into I:\FSX

Of course you can also repeat the same procedure for the FSDG configurator, i.e. install in a temporary location and move over all the files manually. Simply, the FSDG configurator and the sceneries need to be installed into the same root FSX location