FSDG Keflavik (and Iceland)

Flightsim discussions, feedback, small talk - but no support!
JamesIceland
FS-Version: FS9

FSDG Keflavik (and Iceland)

Post by JamesIceland » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi guys,

I was just installing some older airports into my other sim X-Plane 11 and noticed that in my Aerosoft account I had FSDG Keflavik - did you guys do that for X-Plane?

I actually wanted to find out if Keflavik may be a consideration for FSDG in P3D v4 (and FSX) now that it has become a major international transit hub and tourist destination. It certainly offers some challenging approach conditions.

I also wondered if there may be a consideration for a new version of Iceland, along the same lines (but bigger of course) as your Mauritius or Reunion scenery? I know that Orbx Global, Vector and Open LC EU is meant to be a close approximation with some special points of interest included. However, as someone who lives here, I find that so much detail is missed (glaciers, volcanos, lava fields etc) that it doesn't feel like you're really flying here. I did have the Aerosoft Iceland scenery - was this FSDG as well? It was certainly better with some more points of interest but is perhaps a little out of date, especially considering the new technologies available within P3D for example. With the good satellite imagery available and some lovely small airports to fly into (Westman Islands, Isafjordur etc) it really is missing what it actually feels like to fly over the country with the current offerings. It is a truly stunning VFR flying destination, not dissimilar to New Zealand and Reunion. I know you guys seem open to some unusual destinations so thought I would see if this is something you would consider? Plus you would have the added benefit of having a local nearby able to get some photos if needed! ;-)

I was about to post some comparison pics (Aerosoft, Orbx and real) but on going to the Aerosoft page see that the developer is indeed FSDG...Wow! Is this something that you'd therefore revisit?

All the best,

James

horst18519
FS-Version: MSFS

Re: FSDG Keflavik (and Iceland)

Post by horst18519 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:43 pm

We have currently no plans for Iceland. Keflavik X and Iceland X were indeed developed by me (before we started FSDG). I decided back then to not work on a newer version before we have high resolution aerial imagery of the whole island available for a reasonable price. If you know something I don't please send us an email so we can discuss this.
- Thorsten -

FSDG-online.com

JamesIceland

Post by JamesIceland » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:59 pm

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the response and nice to hear of your past involvement with Iceland - I used to love that product back in FSX.

I have a cousin who works in the maps/geological departments here who I think will know something about the availability of higher resolution aerial imagery - not sure how much of the country has been covered but it is something that is likely done to a pretty good level (60-30cm).

I will perhaps drop you an email if I am able to get any further information.

Many thanks

James

F737NG
FS-Version: P3Dv4

Post by F737NG » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:25 am

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, however I saw that Aerosoft is having a Scandinavian sale and FSDG are named as the developer for X-Plane.

Considering how difficult it is to obtain quality satellite imagery of high northern latitudes, would you consider making Keflavik airport as part of the Lite series?
Instead of photo scenery for the ground textures, you could create your own non-photo textures based on what you see on Google maps, for example.

There seems to be some interest across various forums for this as a product.

horst18519

Post by horst18519 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am

The Aerosoft Keflavik scenery should work in FSX, P3D and X-Plane (different addon). Or do you mean a more up-to-date or visually improved version?
- Thorsten -

FSDG-online.com

F737NG
FS-Version: P3Dv4

Post by F737NG » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:00 am

horst18519 wrote:Or do you mean a more up-to-date or visually improved version?
I do. A new version for P3D v4 [and maybe even for XP11 too]. The current one is showing its age now, especially when compared to your more recent, excellent sceneries.

A small airport, with anecdotal evidence of demand from various forums, could be a profitable project. Just a suggestion.

horst18519

Post by horst18519 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:10 am

It is at least on our to do list. We're still looking to get decent aerial imagery for the whole island to make it a combined addon, but in the end it might just end up as a standalone LITE airport.
- Thorsten -

FSDG-online.com

Famke

Post by Famke » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:05 am

Lite would do for me. I do miss Keflavik (does not work in P3D v4) but not that much.

officercrockey
FS-Version: FSX

Post by officercrockey » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:35 pm

Famke wrote:Lite would do for me. I do miss Keflavik (does not work in P3D v4) but not that much.
I have it working in v4. Don‘t ask me how, as orbx openlc is really messing with Iceland completely. But there are fixes for it and I can use it normally.

But yes, a new version is desperately needed. But as far as I know, there is a lot of construction going on.

PatrickZ
FS-Version: P3Dv3

Post by PatrickZ » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:02 pm

I've just read that between 2012 and 2017 the number of passengers at Keflavik grew by 202%. No, that's not a typo. I actually said 202 percent. It more than tripled it's passenger numbers in just five years time. That makes it the fastest growing airport in Europe by far, perhaps even the fastest growing airport in the world.

I've looked it up and the current Keflavik scenery was released in november 2011, so just before this growth spurt started. I can imagine those years of huge growth have had an impact on the airport and this would show on a scenery.

I totally support a new Keflavik scenery. I don't care about the rest of the island, that's just fine the way it is. And given that there's not much in the immediate surroundings of the airport anyway you could just as well make it a lite scenery. But the airport, that's what I would like to have.

valefan16

Post by valefan16 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:35 pm

Keflavik would be awesome for P3D v4... changed a lot since the last scenery and that itself was stunning.

Orbx have the Iceland Demo which pretty much covers the Island itself so as long as it fits in with that it would look superb. Desperately miss having it in the sim.

valefan16

Post by valefan16 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:46 pm

PatrickZ wrote:I've just read that between 2012 and 2017 the number of passengers at Keflavik grew by 202%. No, that's not a typo. I actually said 202 percent. It more than tripled it's passenger numbers in just five years time. That makes it the fastest growing airport in Europe by far, perhaps even the fastest growing airport in the world.

I've looked it up and the current Keflavik scenery was released in november 2011, so just before this growth spurt started. I can imagine those years of huge growth have had an impact on the airport and this would show on a scenery.

I totally support a new Keflavik scenery. I don't care about the rest of the island, that's just fine the way it is. And given that there's not much in the immediate surroundings of the airport anyway you could just as well make it a lite scenery. But the airport, that's what I would like to have.
Iceland is a massive destination for Brits as the moment, certainly with the growth of WOW and the likes of easyJet and Wizz going there now. I went in 2013 and at the time no one I knew had been, since then a few more people I know have been, its an incredible place to go and I guess it benefited a lot from Game of Thrones in terms of exposure to the stunning scenery to the wider world.

horst18519

Post by horst18519 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:50 am

There's currently construction work on the runways & apron. Once that is finished we'll probably put the airport onto our list, just like VRMM.
- Thorsten -

FSDG-online.com

carlos

Post by carlos » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:49 am

Pity, we do need Iceland airports

Thanks

Carlos

PatrickZ

Post by PatrickZ » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:28 pm

I just read that MK-Studios is working on Keflavik.

From FSElite:

The next big airport on the plate for the developers is Keflavik (BIKF). An airport many people are excited for and you will be pleased to hear that the modelling and texture work is now finished. Thanks to support from pilots, the airport will include the latest apron layout and building state. Keflavik will include PBR materials, realistic snow effects and more. New previews coming soon. Whilst the release date is subject to change, the aim is to release in Q1 of 2020.

Since MK-Studios is an excellent developer, I guess after this there'll be no more need for FSDG to do Keflavik.

horst18519

Post by horst18519 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:46 pm

Quite the opposite actually. We'll be heading for Keflavik soon to take photos for a new FSDG-Keflavik scenery. ;-)
- Thorsten -

FSDG-online.com

Hammer

Post by Hammer » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:52 am

horst18519 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:46 pm
Quite the opposite actually. We'll be heading for Keflavik soon to take photos for a new FSDG-Keflavik scenery. ;-)
Why stupid? Market constant change. MK studio fill this gap you fill other.

If FSDG is only Keflavik, I buy. Now is not. I buy MK studio not FSDG.

PatrickZ

Post by PatrickZ » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:33 pm

Stupid is perhaps not the right word here, it's insulting. Stubborn is better perhaps.

And I agree, developers can often be stubborn. FSDG is not the only one. Once they've set their sights on a certain airport they must and shall do it, no matter what. No matter if there's demand for it or not, they won't back out on a taken decision. That is not always appreciated.

Indeed the market is constantly changing. There is a certain demand for a good Keflavik scenery, no matter from which developer. Whoever releases Keflavik will capture that demand, but after that the demand is gone. It's not needed anymore because they already have it.

So let's say there is demand for 10.000 copies of Keflavik. MK-Studios releases first and sells 9.000 copies. This means afterwards the demand has dropped from 10.000 to 1.000 copies. Is that enough for FSDG to make a profit? Sure enough when it was planned that was based on the demand of 10.000 copies, but the market has changed. That demand has been taken up by the competitor.

But meanwhile there's another airport somewhere out there that you could do instead of Keflavik, an airport for which there is demand. So what are you going to do? Will you be stubborn and do Keflavik anyway because you have decided to do so? Or will you be flexible and look at where the opportunities are in the changed market?

T3AMGEIST
FS-Version: X-Plane 11

Post by T3AMGEIST » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:36 am

There is still no up to date Xplane 11 Version, so I hope FSDG will offer one.